Author Notes: I think you either really love congee or really don't. But you never know until you try it. This one is good to start with as the ingredients are readily available. I always think of congee as something concocted from left-overs, so I use cooked rice. All different types of meats, vegetables, and fixings can be used as well, depending on what you have on hand. - monkeymom
- 1 chicken drumstick
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound ground pork, 1/3 for congee, 2/3 for topping
- 2 slices of fresh ginger
- 2 cups cooked rice (almost any type)
- 3-4 cups water
- 8 napa cabbage leaves, sliced
- Put large pot on medium to high heat. Add chicken thigh and brown (you can also just use chicken stock instead of including the thigh).
- Add oil and about 1/3 of ground pork and ginger slices. Fry until pork browns.
- Add 3 cups water and rice and about 1/2 tsp salt. Stir to mix.
- Heat to boiling, then turn to simmer. Cook for ~30 minutes on a simmer, stirring the pot occasionally to prevent sticking. In the meantime, prepare the toppings.
Pork and Crispy Shallots
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cooking sherry or rice wine
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2/3 of the 1/2 lb of ground pork listed above
- 4-5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 shallots, sliced thinly
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 green onion, sliced thinly
- Add 2 tsp soy sauce, sherry, and sugar to the remaining pork. Mix together well (hands work well here).
- Add oil to medium size pan or wok.
- When oil is very hot, add about 1/3-1/2 of the shallots. Fry until deep brown and crispy. Using a slotted spoon remove shallots and drain oil from them back into the pan. Then place shallots on paper towels. Repeat with remaining shallots.
- Once all shallots have been fried, add green onions and garlic to the remaining oil.
- Add pork and toss around the pan. Cook meat through.
- Add 2 tsp of soy sauce and 1 Tbsp of water. Mix and let liquid reduce slightly. Remove to a bowl.
- Add napa cabbage and 1/2 cup more water to congee. Stir and simmer about 10-15 minutes or until the rice is done to your desired consistency.
- For serving, ladle congee into bowls. Add pork and shallots on top, serving the remaining on the side.