If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I really love caramel corn - I mean REALLY love it in the "eat it until you feel sick, then drink some tea, think - oh I feel better - then eat some more, rinse, repeat" sense. So I decided to apply my caramel corn love to pretzles, throw in some heat and some nuts and WALLA! A new treat to eat myself sick on! I used Texas shaped pretzles because, well, they're cute, but twists or those waffle cut ones would be just fine. Or if you have ones representative of your home state. And I used pecans because that's what we grow around here, but you can use whichever nut you love best. - aargersi
Serves me. or me and my husband if i am sharing nicely.
- 1 stick unsalted butter (plus some for buttering the cookie sheet)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups pretzles
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Preheat the oven to 200. Cover a cookie sheet with foil and butter it. Spread the nuts and pretzles on to the sheet.
- Bring the butter, sugar, salt, corn syrup and spices to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally - I recommend a non-stick saucepan for this. Turn OFF the heat, and stir in the baking soda.
- Pour the sugar over the nuts and pretzles and stir - get it evenly distributed and spread over the cookie sheet.
- Put the sheet in the oven and bake for an hour, stirring and re-spreading 3-4 times while they bake.
- Remove from the oven and spread out on parchment paper to dry. Try to keep your hands OFF them (good luck!) for a few hours until they have dried and are nice and crunchy.
- Movie time!!!!!!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Road Trip Snack
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Confection
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Movie Snack