Author Notes: I am learning a LOT since I joined the Food52 community! I had no sweet clue what a congee was until this week. So I did some research, and some thinking (OK well maybe it could be called obsessing) and then some cooking - and you know what? Congee is delicious! If you are making this for someone who has either an allergy or an aversion to bananas (it happens) you could substitute dates or figs ... (that tip came from my banana averted friend :-) - aargersi
- 1 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 2 cups water plus more as you go along (make sure it's hot - I kept the kettle going)
- 1 cup short grain brown rice
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large ripe banana
- toasted sweetened coconut
- toasted sliced almonds
- Bring the milk, 2 c water, rice, cinnamon and vanilla to a boil, then turn down to a simmer. Keep it simmering, stirring every few minutes, until the rice is nice and soft. This is going to take awhile, and as it cooks you need to taste, stir, and add more water as it evaporates, until the rice is soft. Mine took about an hour. It's going to look, well, porridge-y when it's done cooking.
- If you don't keep toasted coconut and almonds on hand like I do, toast while the rice cooks. An easy way to toast the coconut - put it on a paper plate and microwave for 10 seconds. Stir, nuke, stir, nuke until it is nice and toasty. I make big batches and keep it in the pantry in tupperware.
- When the rice is soft, coarsley mash the banana and stir it in.
- Spoon into a bowl, top with coconut and almonds, and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Porridge