If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe pairs up two of summers favorite fruits- watermelon and tomatoes in a modern style caprese salad. The sweet watermelon paired with the more earthy favored tomato is amazing with the creamy tartness of the goats cheese and the zingy lemon truffle dressing. And talk about colorful! I had a variation on this recipe in a restaurant and have done my best to recreate it at home. It also works really well as a light nibble with drinks- on a skewer although I swap the heirlooms for yellow cherry tomatoes and the goats cheese for feta because they hold up better. - Londonfoodieny
for the vinaigrette
- 1 zest of a lemon
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 teaspoons white truffle oil
For the salad
- 4 pounds wedge of watermelon (weight with rind on)
- 1 1/2 pound heirloom tomatoes
- 4 ounces log soft goats cheese
- 1/2 bunch (small bunch) thai basil, leaves picked
- Make the dressing by placing all of the ingredients into a jar. Secure the lid firmly and shake vigorously for 10 seconds. Taste for seasoning.
- For the salad. Cut the rind off of the watermelon and cut the flesh into rough chunks or cubes. I like to cut into triangles about an inch thick and 2 inches in length.
- Core the tomatoes and cut into rough chunks or slices similar in size to that of the watermelon. Intersperse the watermelon and tomatoes on a large flat plate.
- Crumble over the goats cheese and spoon over half of the dressing. Sprinkle with the Thai basil (or regular basil or mint would work) and serve with the remaining dressing on the side.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Watermelon Recipe