If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I like breakfast recipes that taste more like they should be dessert. This is Tres Leches Cake meets your morning oatmeal. If you are worried about calorie count, feel free to substitute the low fat counterparts of the 3 milks in the ingredients. - goodlifeeats —goodlifeeats
Food52 Review: I substituted whole oats for the instant oatmeal in this recipe, and ended up with a hearty breakfast that satisfies. The combination of whisked milks and aromatics imparts a silky sweetness in the oats without being overwhelming. The flax seed adds a welcome texture and nuttiness, and offers a wealth of omega-3 fatty acids and fiber (making the meal, in my mind at least, fat free). To garnish, I added banana and chopped pecan pieces (it's what I have on hand), but I can imagine the fresh cut fruit pieces playing against the cream very well. This oatmeal is a quick, indulgent way to start the day. - goldenblind221 —goldenblind221
- 1 packet instant oatmeal, original flavor
- 1 tablespoon whole flax seed
- 1 teaspoon butter
- hot water
- 3 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons half and half
- 1/8 teaspoon rum flavoring
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Garnish: 1 kiwi, diced
- Honey or agave, optional
- Combine the 3 milks (tres leches): evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and half and half. Add the vanilla, rum, and cinnamon. Whisk and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the oatmeal, flax, and butter. Add hot water according to package directions. Stir.
- Pour the milk on top of the oatmeal and garnish with diced kiwi. For a little extra sweetness, you may drizzle the top with a bit of honey or agave. Serve. Strawberries, mango, and pineapple also go nicely.
How to clean and organize your kitchen—and keep it that way
Get your kitchen clutter under control.
Get baking this Labor Day.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
A chef's kids' lunch.
Storage made crystal clear.