If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: From the city of Big Shoulders, Carl Sandberg, Louis Sullivan and Frank Lloyd Wright comes our most perfect hot dog. I've made trips to Chicago and dragged friends along just for the dogs. I have a thing about hot dogs. So watch a ball game or your favorite Al Capone movie and have a red hot, "dragged through the garden".
Please note that in Chicago's best hot dog palaces if you ask for ketchup you will be escorted out of the building by security. —pierino
Serves as many as you want
- 6 all beef hot dogs, in natural casing (Vienna Beef if available)
- 2 or more french baguettes (this is Windy City heresy but I'll explain)
- 1 jar yellow ball park mustard
- 1 jar green pickle relish
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- at least six pickle spears
- 12 chicago style sport peppers
- celery salt
- Cut the baguettes to fit the length of your hot dog. Toast them lightly while you grill or steam the dogs. We prefer the former. Your hot dogs need some spine to them, and the skin should snap and not burst.
- Assemble. Celery salt is an indispensible ingredient. If you can't find sport peppers substitute a similar Italian style jarred pepper, say piquante.
- My major act of apostasy here is omitting the traditional poppy seed bun. This is because they can be hard to find outside the midwest. But also because I tasted outrageously good foot long dogs served on a baguette recently. I'll explain later.
- Now enjoy your dog and watch Kevin Costner and Sean Connery in "The Untouchables".
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Movie Snack
Our Recent Favorite Recipes
Spaghetti! Pork chops! Croissants!
Our recent favorite recipes.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
Have a ball (jar).