If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe was adapted from an old housemate's Rainbow Gathering specialty. While the hippies may be terrible at haircuts and hygiene, they make stellar popcorn. Melted butter, which is perfection in itself, is infused with lightly-toasted garlic. Soy sauce gives a shot of umami, and helps the cheesy-tasting nutritional yeast flakes stick. It's terribly addictive. We ended up keeping soy sauce in a squirt bottle just for this purpose. —deensiebat
Serves 2-4 (depending upon your level of gluttony)
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1-2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Pop the kernels, either in a popper, microwave, or stovetop. (My favorite method is to coat an iron pot with oil, and drop in three kernels. When they pop, add the remainder, and shake occasionally until the popping stops.) Set aside.
- place the butter and garlic in a saucepan over a medium-low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is lightly browned. Remove from heat.
- Drizzle the buttery garlic (and garlicky butter) over the popcorn, stirring or shaking to distribute. Add half the nutritional yeast, and stir again. Sprinkle with a few spoonfuls of soy sauce -- if your bottle has a large opening, drizzle it from the cap to prevent accidental dousing. Toss, add the remaining yeast, and toss again. Taste, and add more soy sauce or yeast if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Movie Snack
More Great Recipes: Snacks
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.