If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a refreshing dessert that is richer than a sorbet, but lighter and healthier than an ice cream. Reducing some of the watermelon puree allows you to concentrate the watermelon flavor and means you don't have to use much additional sweetener. Maple syrup as a sweetener imparts a nice depth of flavor, but any sweetener, from sugar to agave, will work. If you are up for experimenting, you can feel free to swap out the half and half and use heavy cream (for a creamier product) or Greek yogurt (for a lower-fat one) instead. - WinnieAb
- 1 mini seedless watermelon
- 1 lime
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup half and half, preferably organic
- Slice watermelon in half. Scoop out the flesh from one of the halves. Puree approximately 3 cups of watermelon in your blender so that you end up with 2 cups of liquid. If you end up with too much, set aside the excess for later; if you have too little, add more to your blender until you have 2 cups of puree.
- Pour the watermelon puree into a pot on the stove. Add the juice of 1 lime, your pinch of salt, and your maple syrup. Bring to a boil and allow to cook over medium high heat until the liquid has reduced by just over 1/2, so you have 1 cup of syrup left (this will take about 15-20 minutes, but watch so it doesn't reduce too much). Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Scoop out another (approx.) 2- 2 1/4 cups of watermelon and blend so that you have 1 1/2 cups of puree. Add your cooled syrup so that you have 2 1/2 cups total liquid; then add your half and half to bring the total liquid to 3 cups. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust your seasonings: add a little more lime or salt or sweetener, if you desire, and blend again.
- Pour your liquid into your ice cream maker and proceed to freeze according to your manufacturer's instructions.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Watermelon Recipe
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.