If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe was inspired by a simple Apple-Raisin bread pudding published in Bon Appetit years ago. I made my version more decadent by soaking the raisins in rum, adding more flavor to the custard and using challah instead of white bread. Tart baked apples and boozy raisins give this bread pudding great flavor and texture. It's comfort food, best right out of the oven and topped with vanilla ice cream. —Jennifer Segal
- 2/3 cup Raisins
- 2 tablespoons Spiced Rum
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups packed Challah or Brioche pieces, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (you'll need one loaf but you won't use all of it)
- 1 large tart baking apple such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/8-inch slices and cut in half
- Vanilla Ice Cream for Serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray 11x7-inch glass (or equivalent 2-quart) baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place raisins and rum in a shallow bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Let raisins soak in rum while you prepare other ingredients.
- Whisk milk, eggs, sugar, melted butter, cinnamon, salt and vanilla in large bowl to blend. Add challah cubes, sliced apples and raisins with rum and fold together with a large spatula. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish, flatten with spatula and make sure apples and raisins are evenly distributed. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Bake bread pudding until top is golden and center is set, about 55-65 minutes. Spoon into bowls, top with vanilla ice cream and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Bread Pudding (Sweet, not Savory)
This May Be the Best Thing You Can Do with Zucchini
A genius make-ahead summer side
A genius zucchini dish.
Is your cilantro contaminated?
It's time to travel.
Do this for better cold brew.