If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: 25 years ago I was dating someone whose best friend was a fabulous cook. The boyfriend and his best friend are long gone, but the recipes are still in my recipe file. This is a variation on French Onion Soup that I've always made--I wanted to make a soup with stuff I had in the house (because it's snowing and I don't feel like going out) that we could have for dinner tonight. - drbabs
Serves 4-6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 onions cut in half pole to pole and sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced or put through a garlic press
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3-4 turns of freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 4 cups chicken stock (or low sodium chicken broth)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or a few sprigs of fresh thyme; unfortunately my thyme is buried under about 8 inches of snow.)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 small baguette, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- shredded Gruyere cheese
- Saute onions and mushrooms in butter and olive oil. When they have begun to soften, add garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and cook for about 1/2 hour, scrape up fond, and continue sautéing (adding water if needed) and scraping up fond until onions and mushrooms are caramelized and dark brown in color.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of flour over onions and mushrooms and stir until smooth.
- Add 1/2 cup sherry and 4 cups chicken stock/broth. Bring soup to boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, bake baguette slices in a single layer at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, until dry and crisp.
- Add 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar to soup; stir in. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Preheat broiler. Put soup into individual crocks (broiler-safe), top with one or two croutons and grated Gruyere. Broil till cheese is melted and bubbly, about 5 minutes and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Onion or Garlic Soup
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.