If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is NOT on your diet. However, this soup would be great as a small first course. - nannydeb
- 2 garlic bulbs, this will be to your taste as to how much you want to add to the soup
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup onion, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup Gruyere cheeese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon cooking sherry
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Chop the tops off of two garlic bulbs and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap them in foil and roast for 35-40 minutes or until the garlic is soft enough to squeeze out of the bulbs. Set aside.
- In a soup pot, saute the onion in butter until very soft.
- Add flour and cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Squeeze the garlic into the pot with the onions.
- Whisk in the chicken stock, then milk, then cream.
- Simmer until thickened, about 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add the grated cheese. Stir until melted.
- Add salt, white pepper, sherry and thyme.
- Serve with some good crusty bread.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Onion or Garlic Soup
Jam is a Liquid
And other things to keep in mind when traveling with food.
Do not pack these foods in your carry-on.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Let's get chopping.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
This is poppin'.