Author Notes: You CAN teach an old dog new tricks! I've learned so much from food52. When amreen submitted the recipe for "Lazy (Wo)mans Bread Pudding" it made me realize that I can make a small batch of bread pudding on a Sunday for brunch. This morning, I was going to bake blueberry muffins, but decided to make bread pudding instead. I'm not a berry fan myself, but my family loved it. - nannydeb
- 1/2 loaf Italian bread
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup blueberry jam
- lemon juice for thinning
- Chop the stale bread into one inch cube pieces and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 8x8 glass baking dish.
- Whisk together milk, eggs, vanilla, cardamom, lemon juice, lemon zest and sugar.
- Add the bread cubes and let it absorb the milk mixture for about 20 minutes.
- Fold in the blueberries and pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about an hour or until set.
- In a small bowl, thin the blueberry jam with lemon juice. Drizzle the jam mixture over the bread pudding and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Bread Pudding (Sweet, not Savory)