If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love garlic soup but I've never made it before: I came up with this version, thickened with good quality sourdough bread and enhanced with white wine and just a few spices, and I was really pleased. The flavors intensify the longer you cook this soup... - WinnieAb
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- cloves from 1 head of garlic (about 15), peeled, smashed with the side of a knife, and chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 slices sourdough bread, cubed
- 1 cup white wine
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock, preferably homemade (I used vegetable)
- 1 teaspoon sweet or smoked paprika (I prefer the smoked)
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coursely ground peppercorns (I use a mortal and pestle)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- minced fresh parsley for serving
- creme fraiche for serving- optional
- In a soup pot, melt the butter and the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, and bread cubes, and reduce the heat a bit so the garlic doesn't burn. Cook until the onions are translucent and the garlic and bread cubes are nicely browned (you can add a little water to the the pan during the saute process if it seems too dry).
- Add the wine and 1/2 cup of the stock and bring to a boil. Cook for a minute or two, skimming the surface, if necessary, and then turn off the heat.
- Allow to cool a bit and then process in a blender or food processor into a paste (you could also use a hand blender for this). Return to your soup pot and add the rest of the stock and the seasonings.
- Cook over low heat for 30-40 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if necessary. If you want the soup to be very smooth, you can blend it again before serving; garnish with fresh parsley and a dollop of crème fraiche, if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Onion or Garlic Soup
Your Favorite Items for a Wedding Registry
Wedding season approaches.
Wedding registry must haves.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Wildcard Winner Recap
Do you haiku?