Author Notes: Interestingly beets are a great substitute for the classic cucumber in this dish. I have had great success serving it as a side dish for fish such as cod or tilapia. - Mettch
- 2.5 cups greek yogurt (I use 0.5% which works just fine)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 head minced garlic (or less if you don't love garlic as much as I do)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large beets (probably a bit more than one pound)
- 1 handful of fresh mint, chopped finely
- Mix together the yogurt and the salt. Let it drain in a coffee filter for a few hours.
- Add olive oil and garlic and a bit of pepper (depends on your preference).
- Shred the beets roughly and just before serving add them to the yogurt mixture as well as the mint.