If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One of my summer favorites! I serve this to my guests when I'm entertaining outdoors, and it never fails to please. The names comes from the (sort of) green, white, and red of the ingredients, just like the pizza of the same name, though with different ingredients! - djgibboni
Serves 6 - 8
- 2 pounds young arugula, well washed, and spun dry
- 1 pound feta cheese (domestic or imported)
- 6 whole beets
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup vinegar (red wine or balsamic, or a mixture)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- Wash beets and trim of greens or stems. Place the beets on a generously sized sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Drizzle the vegetable oil over them, then rub the oil around each beet. Fold up the foil and seal them into a packet. Place the foil packet into a baking dish or onto a baking sheet, and roast in a 350°F oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until the beets are tender (a knife inserted will come out easily). Let cool fully!
- When the beets are cool, rub the skins off. A bit of running water helps doing this. Use a paring knife for any stubborn bits of skin.
- Cut up the beets into bite-size chunks. I prefer half-moon shapes, but any shape will do!
- Make a dressing with the olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic, sugar, and thyme.
- Dress the arugula with about half the dressing in a large mixing bowl, then transfer to a serving platter.
- Arrange the beets on top of the arugula. Break up the feta, and scatter over the beets and arugula. Dress with the remaining dressing.
- Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Beets
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
The Best Cinnamon Rolls
10 Cozy Finger Foods