Author Notes: This was is my best chicken recipe so far. I absolutely love the combination of flavors, and curry is always a favorite of mine. The apples got deliciously soft and creamy inside. - Zahirah
Serves 6 portions
- 1 Chicken, whole
- 3 Onions, cut into wedges
- 3 Potatoes, cut into wedges
- 3 Granny Smith apples, cut into wedges
- 2 cups Coconut milk
- 1 cup Chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1/2 cup Shredded coconut
- 3 tablespoons Curry powder
- 2 tablespoons Red pepper flakes
- Olive oil
- Sea salt & Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C
- Prepare the onions, potatoes, and apples, and line the roasting pan with them.
- After washing down the bird, rub it all over with olive oil and then curry. Place it in the roasting pan, on top of the apples and veggies, and sprinkle everything with salt, pepper, shredded coconut, and red pepper flakes.
- Bathe everything with chicken stock and then coconut milk.
- Place the pan into the oven for at least an hour, depending on the size of your bird. The large, free-range chickens I purchase generally take between 1 hour and 20 minutes and 1 hour 45 minutes. Halfway through, baste the chicken and the apples/veggies with some of the sauce.