Author Notes: This salad is full of texture and flavors: creamy, tangy, sweet, crunchy. It's refreshing on a summer afternoon and a hearty appetizer on a winter night. I love the addition of horseradish - beets and horseradish are perfect partners. This is my own recipe, one that I've made several times. You could purchase already-cooked beets and skip the step of cooking them. - adelaide
- 6 large beets
- 4 ounces walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 4 ounces creme fraiche
- 1 tablespoon grated horseradish
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- pinches salt/pepper, to taste
- Place the beets in boiling water (skin on) for 30 minutes or until tender (use a knife to check). Peel the skins. Cut the beets into large dice.
- Gently combine the diced beets with the remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Serve on small plates as an appetizer.