If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I am happily in the beet lovers camp. They are a gorgeous color, easy to cook, and have a wonderful, sweet, earthy taste. What's not to love? The earthiness of the beets with the juciness of the cucumbers and tang of the feta make for a tasty summer salad. —Margy@hidethecheese
for the salad
- 6 medium beets, preferably an assortment of colors, scrubbed
- 1 1/2 seedless cucumbers, washed
- 1/2 pound feta
for the vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wrap beets in foil and roast them on a cookie sheet until they are tender when pierced with a fork. The cooking time will vary according to the size of the beets, but will likely take between 20 and 45 minutes.
- While the beets are cooking, make the dressing. Whisk together the vinegar, salt, and pepper. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking continuously, so that it emulsifies. Add the dill, and whisk again.
- When the beets are finished cooking, remove them from the oven and let them cool. When they are cool enough to handle, remove the foil and slip off their skins. Slice the beets across into rounds (latitudinally) and then cut the rounds into quarters (the result will be pie-shaped pieces). Slice the cucumber the same way, first into rounds and then into quarters.
- In a medium-sized bowl, toss the cucumbers with half of the dressing. Add the beets and toss briefly. Break the feta into chunks and stir them gently into the cucumbers and beets. Taste. Add more dressing and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cucumber Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Beets