If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is based on a recipe I read by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall that I modified to my own taste. You could use chickpeas instead of cannelinni beans and also add a pinch of cayenne to give it a little bite. —The Grubworm
Serves 4-6 as a dip
- 4-6 fresh raw beetroots
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 cup tinned cannelini beans
- 1 lemon
- 2 heaped teaspoons tahini
- 5 cloves garlic
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Heat the oven up to 200oC
- Wrap the beetroot and four of the cloves of garlic (squashed but unpeeled) loosely in a sheet of foil so that it forms a loose ‘bag’ around them. Put them in the oven to bake for about 2 hours. They’re done when you can slide a knife into it with no real resistance. Then take them out and leave them to cool down.
- Meanwhile put the walnuts on a tray and roast them in the hot oven for about 5-6 minute until you can smell them roasting. Remove and leave to cool.
- Put a saucepan over a medium heat and add the cumin seeds, shake the pan over the flame for about 45 seconds and as the nutty aroma starts to rise, pour out the seeds onto a plate to cool. Crush the cumin seeds in a pestle and motar or grind them in a spice grinder.
- Put the walnuts in a blender and blend them until they resemble breadcrumbs. Add the beans, a little oil and water and blend the mix to a thick mush – adding as much water as necessary.
- Peel and dice the beetroot, add to the blender along with the cumin, cannellini beans and a good amount of black pepper. Squeeze the lemon and crush the garlic into the mix and add a couple of glugs of oil and water. Blend into a thick hummusy paste, adding water/oil as necessary to get the consistency you’re after.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Beets
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.