If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Inspired by Jamie Oliver's balsamic potatoes (to. die. for.) balsamic beets are a staple through times when our garden is overrun with beets. —thefood
- 6-8 medium beets - not type specific (cylinder are a fave)
- 1 medium red or sweet onion
- 6 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Wash & chop beets into bit sized pieces & place in large roasting pan (stoneware, pyrex, roaster etc - something with a higher edge). I leave the peel on (providing they are organic and not covered in mud).
- Peel & chop onion into bite sized julienned style pieces & place in roasting pan.
- Peel garlic cloves & place in roasting pan.
- Pour oil & 1/2 of the balsamic vinegar over beets, onions & garlic in roasting pan. Ensure that pan seems to be very well coated in balsamic (meaning each beet seems to glisten with balsamicky goodness) if not, add more balsamic.
- Sprinkle salt & pepper over entire dish.
- Place in oven & roast for approximately 10 minutes. Toss/flip beets with spatula to allow balsamic mixture to re-coat and to allow the other sides of the beets to crunch up.
- Roast for approximately another 5-10 minutes or until beets are not yet completely done. Pour leftover balsamic over beets, onions & garlic.
- Roast for approximately another 5-10 minutes or until beets are crunchy-ish around the edges and cooked through. Onions should be good through as well & garlic should be roasted, tender & squeezable between your fingers.
- Savour! These beets are even served well the next day (as seen in the attached picture for lunch the next day over brown rice with cabbage & chard mmmm.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Beets
Why Our Vegan Cookbook is for Everyone
Whether you're a meat eater, tofu lover, or in-between
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
Our latest #f52contest: back-pocket baking.
Have a ball (jar).