Author Notes: My girls, who are all pretty good eaters, were rarely enthused when I'd bring in some beets from the garden. But this recipe, a far cry from my standard roasted beets/goat cheese salad, actually got them to ask for seconds. But be forewarned… this can be a bit messy, and beet juice stains… so use a dark apron, or just be neater than I usually am. - saenyc
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (or whichever vinegar you favor)
- 1 pound beets (larger are easier to grate)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon strong mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs (parsley, chives, thyme)
- Place shallot in the bowl you’ll prepare the dressing in.
- Add vinegar to shallots and let stand for at least 30 minutes.
- Peel and trim the beets.
- Grate beets over large bowl. Let sit for ten minutes or so. Drain excess beet juice. (set aside for a healthy shot of deliciousness!)
- Add salt, pepper, mustard and olive oil to bowl with shallots and vinegar. Whisk until combined.
- Add fresh herbs and mix once more. (OPTIONAL)
- Pour over beets. Serve or refrigerate.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Beets