Author Notes: I love the way sweet recipes can be transformed to savoury versions. Recently, I've thought of Beet clafoutis, beet rosti....beet pancakes and beet crumble. Here it goes.... - Kitchen Butterfly
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large beetroot (about 200g), peeled and roughly grated
- 30g cold butter
- 40g plain flour
- 30g parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Pinch of ground cumin and coriander
- Salt, to taste
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C
- Heat oil in a pan, add the sliced onions and saute with a pinch of salt for 2 -3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and the beetroot and fry for another 2 - 3minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, ground cumin and coriander and let cook for another minute. Take off the heat.
- In a bowl, rub the butter and flour together until you get 'breadcrumbs'. Add the grated Parmesan to this mixture.
- Put the beetroot mixture in an ovenproof dish and sprinkle the crumble mix n top, using it all up. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes till the top is golden.
- Serve with some green veggies/salad. Enjoy
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Beets