If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: For those conflicted souls who suffer from cooking phobia yet want delicious, comforting and economical meals, roasted chicken is the perfect place to start taking the cure. Roasted chicken not only makes a terrific easy dinner, but yields leftovers for a potential variety of one-skillet suppers later in the week. AND just as important, roasting a chicken makes a place — apartment, house, mansion or trailer — smell like home. - fineartdaily
- 1-2 whole chickens (2 birds yield more for soup stock and leftovers)
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 leafy top of the celery
- 1 teaspoon Dried thyme
- 7 large carrots, skinned and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks the size of half a lemon
- 5 medium onions, peeled and quartered, lengthwise
- 4 turnips, peeled and halved
- Salt and pepper
- Adobo seasoning
- Take the neck and giblets out of the cavity.
- Wash chicken inside and out, pat dry and put into a roasting pan.
- Stuff cavity loosely with half an onion, one carrot, celery, celery tops, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Shake Adobo seasoning over outside of chicken.
- Surround chicken with the rest of the vegetables.
- Cover roasting pan securely.
- Roast at 350°F for approximately 20 minutes per pound of chicken or until the juices of the joint between thigh and breast run clear when poked with a knife.
- Joy of Cooking or any other decent basic cookbook will tell you how long to cook it depending on size.
- After supper, take the remaining meat off the bones – it takes maybe ten minutes — and store it in the fridge.
- Then use the carcass plus every bit of leftover skin, bones, and pan juices to make rich chicken stock.
- You can freeze stock and pull it out when someone is either ailing or blue to make what my family calls Jewish penicillin -- homemade chicken noodle soup with onion, celery and carrot.
- It works like magic to cure what ails you
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Asparagus Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Roast Chicken
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.