If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Brining the chicken in spiced cider makes for a moist, slightly sweet roast chicken. Apple/Tangerine chutney just seemed natural like cranberry sauce for turkey. - nannydeb
Serves 4 hungry people, six polite eaters
- 6 cups apple cider
- 3 tablespoons mulling spices
- 1 3-4 pound whole chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh jalapeño, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 3 Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled and chopped
- 1 tangerine, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- lottsa butter
- salt and pepper
- grated nutmeg
- 1 jigger gold rum
- 1 cinnamon stick
- In a saucepan, simmer apple cider with mulling spices, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and cool at least 15 mintues.
- Strain the spices out of the cider and separate out 2 cups. Set aside for later.
- Add a handful of ice cubes to the 4 cups remaining cider.
- Wash the chicken and place it in a large ziplock bag. Pour the 4 cups cooled brine over and seal the bag. Place the chicken in the bag in a baking pan. Refrigerate and let it marinate for 4 to 8 hours. If you can turn the chicken at least once during that time it would be best.
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Cook the onions until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeño and ginger and cook another minute.
- Add one cup reserved cider, apples, tangerine, brown sugar and cider vinegar.
- Reduce to simmer for about 30 minutes or until apples are soft. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate.
- Four to eight hours later, when you are ready to roast your chicken, preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, heat remaining cup of spiced cider. Pour heated cider into a coffee cup and add 1 jigger gold rum. Add cinnamon stick and enjoy sipping while you prepare the chicken.
- Drain the chicken and pat dry. Smear butter all over the chicken, and season with salt, pepper and grated nutmeg.
- Place chicken, breast side up on an oiled baking rack or in a buttered roasting pan.
- Place in the oven and roast for 15 minutes. Lower the heat to 350 and continue roasting for 50 - 55 minutes or until thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 180. If you don't have a thermometer, pierce the thigh and if the juices run clear, it's done.
- If the chicken starts to get too brown, place foil loosely over the chicken.
- Remove from the oven and let the chicken rest for about 5 minutes. Serve with the apple tangerine chutney.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Roast Chicken