Author Notes: Recently I have become more familiar with the flavors of the West Indies and am so grateful for it, this roasted chicken dish is unlike any others you have tasted! - JennT1981
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 chicken leg quarters, clean and pat dry
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup coffee flavored beer
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl combine spices and mix well.
- Season both sides of chicken with spice mix.
- Heat oil over medium high in a large, oven-proof skillet and add chicken skin-side down.
- Cook until skin begins to set and crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Turn and cook another 3 minutes.
- Return to skin side down and place in preheated oven.
- Continue cooking until no longer pink, about 30 to 35 minutes. Turn oven off.
- Return skillet to stove and keep chicken warm in oven.
- Heat skillet over medium and deglaze pan with beer, scraping bits from the bottom with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in chicken broth, lime juice, vinegar, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl and mix well.
- Stir into pan and simmer 5 to 10 minutes until sauce reduces and thickens slightly. Spoon sauce over chicken and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Roast Chicken