If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: You can use roasted beets easily in the recipe as well, but I like the tangy beets paired with the anchovy dressing. Extra pickled beets and onions can be kept on hand as needed to perk up other dishes. —monkeymom
- 3 medium beets
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 red chili pepper
- 1/2 pound small potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 pound green beans
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small meyer lemon
- tuna - either seared, canned, or poached in oil
- salad greens (mache or baby lettuces)
- sour cream
- sea salt and pepper
- Pickled beets - Wrap beets in foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Unwrap and let cool completely. Peel and slice. Peel and slice onion.Heat vinegar, garlic, pepper, sugar, and chili pepper until sugar dissolves and liquid is steamy. Add slices onion and turn off heat. Layer beet slices with onion slices in a glass jar. Pour over vinegar, cap, and let sit overnight refrigerated. These beets are good for up to a week in the refrigerator, picking up more tang and heat by the day.
- Place potatoes and egg in medium pot, add water and boil. Cook for 12-5 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add green beans and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Drain hot liquid from pot and rinse potatoes, eggs, and green beens with cold water until cool. Remove from liquid and pat dry with a clean towel. Slice potatoes and eggs.
- Assemble salad: Lay out potatoes, egg, beans, tuna, and pickled beets on individual plates or a serving platter.
- Whisk together 2 Tbsp beet pickle juice with 2 Tbsp olive oil. Add some lemon juice to desired tartness if necessary. Drizzle over items on plate.
- Add anchovies to small pot on medium heat. Add 2 Tbsp olive oil. Using a whisk, stir and heat until anchovies mostly dissolve in oil. Take off heat. Whisk in juice of ½ of meyer lemon. Pour over tuna, potatoes and egg.
- Add a dollop of sour cream with chopped chives to top of pickled beets.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Beets
Just Butter Isn't Better
Why making your own ghee is worth it
Make your own ghee.
The dreamiest foods around.
Stop slamming salad.
A can-do tool.