If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I like to make this recipe in the evening, when I've had the luxury of not getting out of my pajamas all day long. It's perfect snow day fare because you likely have all of the ingredients in your pantry. - cheese1227 - cheese1227
Food52 Review: This recipe will satisfy your craving for potato hash and poached eggs for any meal of the day. The recipe comes together quickly and the flavors of the potatoes marry well with the thyme and onion. It’s a very colorful dish that will brighten up your holiday breakfast but could—and should—also be served for a cozy dinner by the fire. - sticksnscones - A&M
- 4 Eggs
- 1 large russet potato
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1/2 sweet onion
- 3 sliced of thick cut bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt, pepper and sugar to taste
- 1 tablespoon Fresh thyme leaves
- Peel and small dice potatoes and onion.
- Put the potatoes in a pot of salted water to cook partially. This only take 2-3 minutes. Drain the potatoes.
- Roughly chop the bacon and place it into a hot sauté pan to crisp.
- In a medium sized saucepan, put to boil about 1.5 inches of water and a teaspoon each of white vinegar and salt to create a poaching liquid for the eggs.
- Remove the crisped bacon from the sauté pan and add the chopped onion and thyme leaves to the bacon fat to sweat and soften.
- Add the potatoes to the onions and thyme (with a little extra butter) and sprinkled the mixture with a half teaspoon of sugar to help bring out the sweetness of the potatoes.
- Leave the potato mixture in the sauté pan to caramelize as you poach the eggs.
- Just before serving, stir the bacon bits into the potato hash, seasoned it with salt and pepper.Divide the hash between two plates to use as a bed for two poached eggs. Serve immediately.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast