If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This was how my mom made it and I have always made it the same way. Instead of using the carcass, I use whole chickens. It is a great base soup for matzoh balls, and is flavorful enough to use as a stock for other soups or sauces. - Berna
Serves makes about 1 gallon of broth
- 2 chickens, whole
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into large dice
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 4 parsnips, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 turnips, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Wash and place chickens in a large stock pot (I use whole chickens because it it easier to remove from the soup-I use a large "spider" to take them out). Add the rest of the ingredients, cover with water, place a cover on top and slowly bring up to a simmer. Simmer for about 2 hours. Cool the chicken and vegetables in the stock before removing.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken Broth
Why the Simplest Recipes Are Still Worthwhile
Cheer up with chickpeas.
Goya's Balsamic Chickpea Salad
The sun is out: Are you?
Good day, sunshine.
Gifts for Mother's Day
Make better cookies.