Author Notes: These crispy cheese balls work great as hors d'ouevres or a decadent little snack. They are best if served fresh. Coulis can be stored in the fridge or freezer and is also great served over ice cream. - RellaBellaK
Crispy Fried Feta Balls
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped mint
- 2-3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- oil for frying
Mint-Infused Blood Orange Coulis
- zest of 1 blood orange
- 1/2 cup blood orange juice (6-8 oranges)
- zest & juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon agave
- 1 tablespoon bourbon or tequila
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint + more for garnish
- Beat cream cheese and feta until smooth. Add spices and mint. Stir in flour 1 Tbsp at a time until cheese mixture is firm enough to roll.
- Form cheese mixture into bite-sized balls, then roll in bread crumbs to coat.
- Heat oil in deep sided pan or deep fryer. Fry cheese balls until browned and crispy. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Combine coulis ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower heat until just bubbling, and cook until liquid reduced by half, 8-10 minutes (sauce should coat the back of a spoon). Remove from heat and strain through a fine sieve.
- Drizzle coulis over cheese balls, garnish with chopped fresh mint and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Blood Oranges, Feta and Mint