Author Notes: This is a very simple, yet beautiful, winter salad. - Loulies
- 4 good-sized beets, a mix of purple and gold, if possible
- 3 blood oranges
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup good extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces creamy white feta cheese
- small bunch of mint leaves, roughly chopped
- Scrub, peel and cut beets into fine matchsticks by first thinly slicing them about 1/4 inch thick using a knife or mandoline and then stacking the slices on top of each other to cut into thin matchsticks. Place in a bowl.
- Peel and de-pith blood oranges, slice into thin rounds and then slice again into 1/2 inch strips. Add to bowl with beets.
- Squeeze the juice from one lemon and add 1/2 c. good olive oil to an old jam jar. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Tighten lid and shake. Test dressing before adding to salad and adjust seasonings, if needed.
- Add a little of the dressing to the beets and pears until the flavors are balanced. Mix well. Crumble over feta and sprinkle with mint.
- Tip: Peel beets under running water and chop on a plastic board that can be easily rinsed for less staining. Rub coarse salt on your hands and board to remove any color.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Blood Oranges, Feta and Mint