If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a very simple, yet beautiful, winter salad. - Loulies
- 4 good-sized beets, a mix of purple and gold, if possible
- 3 blood oranges
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup good extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces creamy white feta cheese
- small bunch of mint leaves, roughly chopped
- Scrub, peel and cut beets into fine matchsticks by first thinly slicing them about 1/4 inch thick using a knife or mandoline and then stacking the slices on top of each other to cut into thin matchsticks. Place in a bowl.
- Peel and de-pith blood oranges, slice into thin rounds and then slice again into 1/2 inch strips. Add to bowl with beets.
- Squeeze the juice from one lemon and add 1/2 c. good olive oil to an old jam jar. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Tighten lid and shake. Test dressing before adding to salad and adjust seasonings, if needed.
- Add a little of the dressing to the beets and pears until the flavors are balanced. Mix well. Crumble over feta and sprinkle with mint.
- Tip: Peel beets under running water and chop on a plastic board that can be easily rinsed for less staining. Rub coarse salt on your hands and board to remove any color.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Blood Oranges, Feta and Mint
Not Your Average (Garlic Cheddar) Biscuit
Yes, you need another biscuit recipe.
Why You Need Yet Another Biscuit Recipe.
Fresh beer, anywhere.
9 Ways to Celebrate the Royal Baby
What to Do With Marjoram
Go play outside!