If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe represents a classic combination of Moroccan flavors, the earthiness of beets, the sweetness of oranges and, of course, an array of spices. Feta would be the more common cheese used in this salad, but ricotta salata is very tasty as well.
- 1 1/2 pounds small red and/or golden beets, tops trimmed
- 4 blood oranges (navel or cara cara oranges may be substituted)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or more to taste
- zest of 1 lemon
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1/2 pound baby arugula, washed and spun dry
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (or ricotta salata)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wrap the beets in a double layer of foil and seal tightly. Roast for 45 minutes or until tender, depending on the size of the beets. Let the beets cool slightly, then peel and cut into 1/4-inch wedges. Set aside.
- To peel the oranges, slice off each end and set one end on a cutting board. With a sharp knife, peel with the curve of the orange removing the peeling and the white pith. Section the orange pieces, and place in a bowl. Mix the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl, and lightly toss with the orange sections. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil with the orange juice concentrate, lemon juice, lemon and orange zest, cumin, coriander and cayenne. Season with salt. Add half the vinaigrette to the beets and refrigerate until time to serve.
- Just prior to serving, toss the remaining vinaigrette with the arugula. Season the arugula with salt to taste. Arrange the arugula on a serving platter, top with the beets, then the oranges and scatter the feta cheese on top. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Blood Oranges, Feta and Mint
Prep Makes Perfect
Put your best pan forth.
Prep your pans for perfection.
Make better coffee.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Stop the soap opera.