If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Scones remind me of a serene high tea (in Regent's Park) my parents brought me to when they visited me while I was an exchange student at the Chelsea College of Art and Design years ago. Scones are less sweet than a muffin and more substantial than a piece of toast. These scones evoke that wonderful day but with more exotic ingredients. Who wouldn't like a scone fragrant with blood orange and slathered in a sweet, citrusy, and minty butter? - testkitchenette
Serves 8 scones
Feta Blood Orange Scones
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- up to 1/2 teaspoons salt (depending on how salty your feta is)
- 1/3 cup butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup blood orange juice
- 3 ounces feta cheese, block form-drained and cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon yogurt
- zest of 1 blood orange
- extra sugar to sprinkle on top of scones before baking
Minted Blood Orange Whipped Butter
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon blood orange juice
- zest of 2 blood oranges
- 1 teaspoon chopped mint
- tiny pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a food processor and then add butter and pulse until it's the texture of very coarse sand
- Add the milk and pulse to combine. Then add in the blood orange juice, feta cheese, yogurt, and blood orange zest and pulse until dough forms into a sticky ball.
- Press into a 1 inch disk on a floured surface, sprinkle and then press coarse sugar on top. Place on a cookie sheet line with a Silpat or parchment paper. Cut into 8 triangles and separate. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Let cool and serve with butter.
- Combine all butter ingredients in a food processor or with hand held mixer until fluffy. Serve with scones.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Blood Oranges, Feta and Mint
Around the World in 16 Breakfasts
The most important meal of the day, the international way.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Wildcard Winner: Texas Tailgate Burger
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Stop the soap opera.