If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I'm a big fan of "do ahead" so that I can enjoy my own party. With this recipe, you can make the filling ahead of time and roll them up and toss them in the oven at the last minute for a hot appetizer. - nannydeb
Serves small party
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced small
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground lamb or beef
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 1/2 cup blood orange juice
- 1/2 cup blood orange segments, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, minced
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 1 box frozen phyllo dough sheets
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook about 2 minutes.
- Add the lamb and cook until done. If the meat is fatty, drain the fat off.
- Add the oregano, salt, pepper and orange juice. Simmer about 5 minutes or until the juice is reduced, almost gone. Set aside.
- Once the meat mixture is cooled slightly, add the orange segments, fresh mint and crumbled feta.
- Lightly butter a cookie sheet. Spread out one sheet of phyllo dough and brush it with butter. Spread out a second sheet of phyllo dough and brush it with butter too. Cut the sheet in half lenghwise.
- Put a heaping tablespoon of the meat mixture on one corner on the end of the phyllo strip. Fold like a flag and when you get to the end, brush it with butter to make it stick.
- Repeat the process with the remaining filling and phyllo sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot.
- I haven't tried rolling them and freezing them yet, but I bet it would work too.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Blood Oranges, Feta and Mint
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
We're woven this backpack.