If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a nice little combination of chicken, cheese, oranges and a variation on bacon – my husband (who is an AMAZING cook!) and I created this together –And, okay, I admit the blood orange reduction didn’t really take three days to make; just three evenings of about 1 ½ to 2 hours each – basically you just want to cook the sauce down for about 5 hours – more if you can. But 5 hours should do it. The sauce is pretty basic; and once you make it; you can use it for other things – let’s say the “Fillo Rolled Blood Orange Tart” that I hope to post before this contest is over!... P.S. You could also stuff and roll quail, cornish game hens or poussins as well. - coffeefoodwritergirl
For the Chicken & Filling:
- ¾ cup Bulgarian feta (or whatever feta you have on hand...)
- 1 egg – beaten
- 2 tablespoon fresh mint – chopped
- 4 turns fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ tablespoon butter
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup soft goat cheese
- l clove garlic – crushed
- approximately 3 slices proscuttio per breast
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts – pounded to ¼ to ½ an inch thick
- Extra utensils: kitchen twine
- Pound chicken breasts to about ½ inch thick. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add feta, egg, mint, black pepper, paprika, goat cheese, and crushed garlic all together in a bowl. Smash together with a fork until slightly lumpy but also smooth.
- Lay out pounded chicken breasts on flat surface. Spoon one to two tablespoons filling into middle. Roll up like a burrito. Wrap each breast in pancetta also covering the little ends in case any of the feta filling is seeping out.
- Use kitchen twine to tie securely; first the long ends; then two ties around middle sections (see pic!).
- Heat olive oil and butter in medium sauce pan over medium to medium-high heat. Place each roll in and sauté until deep mahogany/golden.
- Remove to baking dish and bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees until chicken is cooked through (be careful here – the chicken will cook quickly – you want to find that nice balance between cooked through and juicy – be very very careful not to overcook – you don’t want it to be card board-y. =)
- When cooked, remove from oven and let rest for about five minutes. Slice on the diagonal; place on plates and spoon blood orange reduction over top.
- (This would be good with a nice light cucumber salad...=))
3-Day Blood Orange Reduction:
- 9 large blood oranges – peeled and skinned
- 1 regular orange
- 1 cup tangerine juice
- 2 cups red wine
- ½ cup orange liquor (we used Orange Curacao)
- ¾ cup port
- Just throw everything into a large pot and cook down for about 5 hours or so, until thick and fragrant. Spoon over stuffed chicken or use for other (very interesting) things...
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Blood Oranges, Feta and Mint
Have a Brew-ti-ful Day
Shop our newest caffeinated collection.
Everything you need for coffee and tea.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
The final step to a genius dinner party.
A list of things we like.
Add flower power to your espresso.