If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Slow roasting the meatloaf indirectly on the grill is a great way to enhance that great umami taste which is synonymous with most peoples idea of the dish. If unable to grill, a 325 degree oven will yield similar results. - Stefano Coppola
Food52 Review: Grilled meatloaf. What an inventive execution and perfect pairing of flavors. So the ingredients call for carrots and Worcestershire sauce, but the recipe never mentions them again? Who cares. Throw it in. It's meatloaf.
We refrigerated the meatloaf as instructed, and it seared nicely on the grill. Because the given ingredient amounts will render a loaf significantly larger than a standard rugby ball, we divided it into two loafs. The cooking time remained the same as it grills over low heat. The bacon is tricky. Resist the urge to cook it longer than 2 minutes, as you definitely need pliable strips to properly 'shingle' the loafs. Our stiffer bacon resulted in rather sharp-angled shingles. (This did not detract from the taste one bit.) So shingle as you please and baste liberally with the molasses/Dr. Pepper magic. - Catherinejagers - The Editors
- 1 pound ground Beef Chuck
- 1 pound ground Beef Sirloin
- 6 ounces ground Pork
- 3 slices sandwich bread
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup Cream, or milk
- 1 clove Garlic, chopped
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1 large Carrot, diced
- 1 small Bell Pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh Thyme, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- couple dashes Tabasco
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6-8 slices good-quality Bacon
- 1/2 tablespoon Worchestershire Sauce
- 1/2 cup Ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Molasses
- 1/4 cup Dr. Pepper
- 1 tablespoon cracked black peppercorns
- Beat egg and cream together.
- Tear bread into small pieces and soak in milk mixture.
- Meanwhile, pulse garlic, onion, bell pepper, and time in a food processor until finely minced, but not pureed.
- Add milk/bread mixture, spices and hot sauce, pulse twice.
- In a large bowl, combine meats with the mixture and gently mix in.
- Form into a "loaf". Wrap in plastic and put it in the fridge while making the glaze.
- For the glaze, combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan and simmer for 5-8 min, until slightly thickened.
- Preheat grill to high, or oven to 325. If using a grill, heat only one side.
- Render bacon about halfway, so it is still pliable.
- Sear meatloaf on all sides, about 3 min per side, then move to cold side of the grill and shingle with bacon. spoon glaze over loaf and close lid.
- Cook for about 15 minutes, spoon glaze over loaf. Close lid.
- Cook for about 30 minutes longer, until the meat has reached 155 degrees.
Why the Simplest Recipes Are Still Worthwhile
Cheer up with chickpeas.
Goya's Balsamic Chickpea Salad
The sun is out: Are you?
Good day, sunshine.
Gifts for Mother's Day
Make better cookies.