If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have to admit that I am not a big meatloaf fan. I never cook it for dinner. In fact, the only time I make meatloaf is for sandwiches. So, I concocted this recipe that is a less dense meat and spinach version that tastes very light and works as a sandwich filler. Using 3 whole eggs and a cup of cream binds the mixture and makes it light. The gruyere cheese gives a nice tang and the pepper flakes a little hot kick. - dymnyno
Serves probably about 6 sandwiches
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup yellow onions (fine dice)
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 bunch of Italian parsley
- 1 1/2 cups fine bread crumbs (toasted)
- 2 cups gruyere cheese (grated)
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- salt and black pepper
- Steam the spinach,drain, cool and then chop. Wrap in a towel and squeese as much moisture out as you can.
- In a large mixing bowl, put the ground beef, 1 cup diced onions and the bread crumbs.
- In a blender put 1 cup cream and blend (pulsing) until it begins to thicken. Add 3 whole eggs and pulse until blended.
- Add half of a large bunch of fresh Italian (flat leaf) parsley and pulse until blended
- Add 1 1/2 cups of grated gruyere chees and pulse until blended.
- Add the blender mixture to the meat mixture and mix together (I use my hands)
- Butter a oven proof dish and pour the mixture into it.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top and return to the oven to melt.
- This tastes great as dinner with (probably) mashed potatoes and butter. A tomato based sauce which is what most people put on meatloaf is too much for this loaf. I would recommend a dab of light horseradish and creme fraiche
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spinach Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Meatloaf
More than Roses
Make your plants do double duty.
Put your houseplants to work.
Wine to go, without the box.
Go play outside!
Your best no-lettuce salad.