If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I often like to take classics and put a twist on it to suit our taste preferences. In our home we are huge fans of Mexican cuisine and I somewhow figured out how to meld those flavors into a meatloaf....comfort food at its best! - JennT1981
- 1 1/2 pound ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 large onion, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup colby jack cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup pepita seeds
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 slice buttermilk bread, diced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 7 ounces green chiles, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl combine all ingredients for meatloaf and using your hands, mix until evenly distributed. Place into a lightly greased loaf pan and bake about 45-50 minutes.
- In the meantime place pumpkin seeds, cilantro and parsley into a food processor and pulse into a paste.
- In a medium sauce pan heat oil over medium heat and add onion and garlic. Let cook about one minute, then add bread and cook another 2 to 3 minutes, until evenly toasted.
- Next add green chiles and cook a minute more. Finally add broth and herb pumpkin seed paste and mix thoroughly.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and let cook 3 to 5 minutes. Add cream and season with salt to taste.
- Let meatloaf rest a few minutes before slicing. Serve green chile herb pepita cream sauce over slices of meatloaf.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Meatloaf