If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was thinking about what to do with leftover egg whites--Gluttonforlife suggested a souffle--and I thought, spinach souffle--what a great idea! (And then Jenny made Kelsey's Cheese Souffle--so I felt that it was meant to be.) Recipes for spinach souffle usually call for nutmeg, but I don't really like nutmeg and spinach together for some reason, so I decided to try lemon. And I usually use yogurt when I make quiche, so I decided to try that as well. Full disclosure: I used frozen spinach. (Organic, but frozen.) It was quite good. It would definitely be better with fresh spinach (I'm recommending fresh in the recipe below), but I was short on time and unable to get to the market. Next time, I think I would add 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese to the batter and sprinkle the top with more parmesan cheese , so I added that as an option to the recipe. (I made this with moonlightingfoodie's tangy herb and lemon chicken.) —drbabs
Serves 4; 2 if for lunch
- 1 tablespoon panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese, plus more for sprinkling on the dish and on top (optional)
- 1 pound spinach, stems trimmed, steamed and roughly chopped. (or if, like me, you're short on time, you can use one 10-ounce package of organic frozen spinach, defrosted and well-drained. )
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, put through garlic press
- zest of one lemon
- juice of 1/2 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 teaspoon fresh)
- 4 egg whites
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 450. Butter casserole or souffle dish and sprinkle inside with bread crumbs and parmesan cheese (if using).
- Melt butter in large saucepan. Add flour and whisk together, cooking until the roux is smooth, bubbling, and beginning to turn a light tan color. Whisk in garlic, and allow it to cook briefly. Whisk in the yogurt, salt and pepper, lemon juice, lemon zest and thyme. Stir in spinach (and parmesan cheese if using) and set aside.
- Beat egg whites with pinch of kosher salt till stiff. Gently fold egg whites into spinach mixture until thoroughly incorporated.
- Pour into prepared souffle dish and sprinkle the top with more panko and parmesan cheese (if using).
- Bake at 450 for 20-25 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spinach Recipe
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.