If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have to admit the few times i have made meatloaf in the past, was not such a success.
So i was challenged by this contest, I was determined to make a great meatloaf!
I make a mean Bolognese sauce so I had this idea of approaching the the dish in a similar way,
by adding an Italian pepper, sauteing it with onion and garlic before adding to the meat.
I also mixed veal and beef together instead of just beef this time.
I did not have any ketchup so i made a sauce to top the loaf with a bit of a spicy kick.
its called "Oscar Night meatloaf" because I made it while watching the Oscars last night and then enjoyed a slice with a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon,
The Meat Loaf turned out to be a perfect texture and was Oscar night worthy. - chez lady S
homemade spicy tomato ketchup
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 8 ounces plain tomato sauce or puree
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paparika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion finely minced
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 italian ( sometimes called cuban) green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground veal
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 sprigs parsley
- In a small bowl mix all the first set of ingredient's together for the "homemade spicy tomato ketchup" and set aside
- Saute the first four ingredients in a pan until the onions are transparent to golden, be careful not to burn the onions. Set aside to cool
- in a large mixing bowl mix together the beef, veal, breadcrumbs eggs, mustard powder, salt and pepper
- Add the onion mixture to the meat mixture.
- make into a large ball or log shape and put in a loaf or shallow baking pan
- top the meatloaf with homemade sauce
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 1 hour and 15 Min
- Let rest 15 minutes before slicing. Garnish with parsley