Author Notes: I have to admit the few times i have made meatloaf in the past, was not such a success.
So i was challenged by this contest, I was determined to make a great meatloaf!
I make a mean Bolognese sauce so I had this idea of approaching the the dish in a similar way,
by adding an Italian pepper, sauteing it with onion and garlic before adding to the meat.
I also mixed veal and beef together instead of just beef this time.
I did not have any ketchup so i made a sauce to top the loaf with a bit of a spicy kick.
its called "Oscar Night meatloaf" because I made it while watching the Oscars last night and then enjoyed a slice with a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon,
The Meat Loaf turned out to be a perfect texture and was Oscar night worthy. - chez lady S
homemade spicy tomato ketchup
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 8 ounces plain tomato sauce or puree
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paparika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion finely minced
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 italian ( sometimes called cuban) green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground veal
- 3/4 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 sprigs parsley
- In a small bowl mix all the first set of ingredient's together for the "homemade spicy tomato ketchup" and set aside
- Saute the first four ingredients in a pan until the onions are transparent to golden, be careful not to burn the onions. Set aside to cool
- in a large mixing bowl mix together the beef, veal, breadcrumbs eggs, mustard powder, salt and pepper
- Add the onion mixture to the meat mixture.
- make into a large ball or log shape and put in a loaf or shallow baking pan
- top the meatloaf with homemade sauce
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 1 hour and 15 Min
- Let rest 15 minutes before slicing. Garnish with parsley