If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Since meatloaf is not a common recipe in Holland (I never had it before, we make meat balls) I was not restricted with any do's, dont's, traditions or restrictions on this one. I combined two things I wanted to try for some time; ketchup and filled vine leafs. When I let my creativity run loose the idea of combining meat with blueberries popped up. Together with the raspberry ketchup, meat and vine leafs, a very tasty combination if I may say so. - Janneke Verheij
- 1 can tomatoes (400 gram)
- 2 shallots
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 cup raspberrry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- pinches cinnamon
- small pinches clove
- Cut the shallots in half and put them in a pan (including the ones for the meat loaf). Cover them with oil, add a bay leaf, all the garlic cloves (also the ones for the meat loaf) and the coriander seeds. Bring the oil to a boil and leave it on your smallest fire until the shallots are soft. Don’t throw the oil away, you can just use it again.
- In a skillet bake the tomato paste until it smells sweet and add the tomatoes, the vinegar, the Worcestershire sauce, pepper, salt and sugar. Also add 4 of the poached garlic cloves and 2 shallots.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and let it simmer until the sauce has the desired thickness. Blend it not entirely smooth in your food processor and set aside.
- 500 gram mixed beef and pork minced meat
- 1 egg
- 50 gram bacon in cubes
- 3 tablespoons homemade ketchup
- 2 shallots
- 3 garlic cloves
- 150 gram blue berries
- pepper and salt
- Clean your food processor, put in the bread and add a little milk to soak it. Add the egg, the remaining shallots, the garlic and the bacon and pulse it into a coarse paste.
- Add this mixture to the meat and add 3 tablespoons of the ketchup, season with salt and pepper. Mix it good together and as last, carefully mix in the berries.
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 360F
- Grease a cake tin and cover with vine leaves. Put the meat in the cake tin, don’t press it to hard so the texture stays a bit loose and cover it with more vine leafs. Cover the leafs with the ketchup and bake on 180C for one hour.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Meatloaf
Freeze It Right There
A fruity, frozen spin on a classic.
A bananas frozen daiquiri.
Plan a genius dinner party: part one.
All you need for Memorial Day.
Community Picks: Lettuce-Free Salad
A trusty trivet.