If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: All week I thought about fun creative twists I could put into a meatloaf... then I came down with a bad cold, and all I could think about was the comforting meatloaf my mom made when I was a kid. Apparently she made a few versions, but all I can remember is her sweet meatloaf, which she said she made more often since the sweet ketchupy sauce ensured her little sweet-tooths would actually eat it! Even though my palate has matured, Mel's Sweetloaf is just as delicious and comforting as I remebered... not to mention simple! - Loves Food Loves to Eat
- 1.5 pounds ground beef
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1 cup bread crumbs ( I use seasoned)
- 1 egg- beaten
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Hungarian (sweet) paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine meat, onions, crumbs, and egg- mix well ( I use my hands).
- In a separate bowl, whisk to combine ketchup, brown sugar, lemon juice, paprika, dry mustard, and salt and pepper (taste to adjust).
- Add half of ketchup mixture to meat and mix in, reserve other half, set aside.
- Put meat into ungreased loaf pan, and tuck down to form solid loaf.
- Bake for 1 hour. Remove loaf from oven, and pour off juices. Coat top with remaining ketchup mix, and bake for another 15-20 minutes.
- Enjoy with classic mashed potatoes and spinach bacon salad!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Best Recipe or Technique Your Mother Taught You
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Meatloaf