If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love afternoon tea and love hosting it; but there are only so many sweets one can eat. This is a great way to make afternoon tea more substantive without feeling weighted down...it's also a great way to get kids to eat dark leafy greens (they will eat things when it has the word cake in it!) Make sure to squeeze as much of the water out of the spinach before adding it to the ricotta mixture, it makes a big difference. —Culinista Annouchka
Serves 15 teacakes
- 2 bags of baby spinach (6 oz each)
- 1 bunch dino kale, ends trimmed, cut in bite size pieces (or substitute with a 3rd bag of spinach)
- 16 ounces part skim ricotta
- 3 ounces spreadable goat cheese (we like Chavrie goat cheese with basil and roasted garlic)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch salt (we like smoked salt)
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon each of freshly chopped chervil, dill, parsley
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino romano (Parmesan would be great too)
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Place ricotta and goat cheese in a bowl and mix until smooth and combined. Add the eggs, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, nutmeg and herbs and mix well.
- Place the spinach in a saucepan of boiling water for 5 to 10 seconds, then drain, squeezing any excess water and chop. If using the kale repeat the previous step with the kale, leaving the kale to blanch for 1 minute before draining.
- Add the spinach, kale, pine nuts & pecorino to the ricotta mixture, mix until well combined. Spoon the mixture into greased muffin tins - if very lazy line with baking cups. Place in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until the teacakes are firm and golden.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spinach Recipe
We're obsessed with savory yogurt
Savory yogurt is whey cool.
DIY Nutter Butters.
Shop our new office.
How to make bouillabaisse.
Just shrub it off.