If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Testkitchenette submitted the most gorgeous Feta Blood Orange Scone recipe which I made, (adapted a bit, basically because I did not have some of the ingredients and I forgot to put the sugar on top...) and then topped with some strawberries & blackberries macerated in a little raw sugar and Grand Marnier and a bit of very lightly sweetened cream. The scones (already delicious and perfect in themselves: not too heavy; not too sweet; lightly flaky with lots of flavor) worked so well as a base to the berries and made this dessert absolutely delicious. - coffeefoodwritergirl
For the Blood Orange Scones (Adapted from Testkithenette-Food52)
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- ½ cup white whole wheat baking flour
- 3 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup butter, cold and cut into pieces
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup blood orange juice or lemon juice or half of each
- 2 tablespoon ginger flavored sheep yogurt
- zest of one blood orange, orange, or lemon (or combination)
- extra sugar to sprinkle on scones before baking (I forgot to do this step – and they turned out great, but if you like a little extra sweetness this would be great)
For the Macerated Strawberries, Blackberries & Cream:
- 2 baskets large sweet strawberries
- 1 basket sweet blackberries
- 4 tablespoons raw sugar (regular sugar would work as well)
- 3 tablespoons Grand Marnier
- 1 small container heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar (or regular sugar)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine flours, sugar, baking powder and salt in food processor and then add butter and pulse until it is the texture of very course sand. Add the heavy cream and pulse to combine. Then add in the oranges or lemon, yogurt, heavy cream and zest and pulse until dough forms into a sticky ball.
- On a floured surface, press into a disk that is about ½ inch thick and 8 inches wide. [Optional: press course sugar on top]. Place on a cookie sheet lined with a Silpat or parchment paper. Cut into 8 triangles and separate. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, slice strawberries in ¼ inch slices. Put in bowl with blackberries, 4 tablespoons sugar and Grand Marnier. Refrigerate for a least ½ an our and up to four hours.
- Place heavy whipping cream into medium bowl. Add 1 tablespoon sugar and vanilla. Whip with electric mixer until firm and forms stiff peaks.
- When scones are cool place each on a plate; top with a big pile of macerated berries and a dollop of cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Strawberries
Around the World in 16 Breakfasts
The most important meal of the day, the international way.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Wildcard Winner: Texas Tailgate Burger
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Stop the soap opera.