If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This meatloaf gets its great flavor from the addition of dried porcini mushrooms rehydrated in cabernet wine. The combonation is fantastic and creates a great umami taste when combined with the meat and woody herbs. —Stefano Coppola
- 2 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup cabernet
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 thick slices good quality bacon
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground veal
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1 large carrot, minced
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1/2 fennel bulb, minced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup grated parmesn
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°. Put mushrooms in a small bowl and pour 2 cups simmering cabernet over them. Stir and let mushrooms sit 15 minutes. In another small bowl, tear bread into small pieces, removing crusts. Add milk and egg, stir to combine.
- Sweat onion, carrot, celery and fennel over med heat until softened. Add herbs and remove from heat.
- Combine bacon and garlic in a small food processor and pulse until a paste is formed. Combine with all the meats in a large mixing bowl. Add vegetables. Chop and add porcinis, thier liquid, and bread mixture, and parm. Season with salt and pepper. Mix gently.
- Form loaf on a rimmed baking sheet, bake until 150 on an instant read thermometer, about one hour. let rest 5 min before slicing.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Meatloaf
Quick! Make these summery recipes while there's still time
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Our staff's best storage tips.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
This week's #happylist.
Storage made crystal clear.