If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: If I’m trying to relax, a nice mug of warm milk always seems to do the trick. So does liquor, but this is a more virtuous non-alcoholic option, for when I’m looking to keep my virtue intact. Inspired by Amanda’s Chai recipe, I quickly found myself addicted to the stuff, and thought it might be just as nice without the tea. - mrslarkin
- 1 green cardamom pod
- 3/4 cup milk, or a mug-full
- 4 - 5 strips of orange zest
- 2 or more teaspoons honey
- 1 shot of Meyers's Jamaican Rum, for when you are feeling wicked-naughty (optional)
- Remove seeds from the cardamom pod. In a mortar and pestle, or with a meat pounder, crush the cardamom seeds.
- In a saucepan, or in the microwave (my large mug of milk takes 3 minutes), heat the milk, zest, cardamom seeds and honey to very hot, but not boiling. When it’s almost done, make sure to give it a stir to get all the honey mixed in. Strain the milk, reserving some zest for serving, if you like. Now pour the rum in, or not. Just want to say, it tastes real good with the rum. No pressure.
- If you have one, froth the hot milk with a milk frother. Or do the chai trick and pour the milk from one mug to another kinda quick-like, creating a flowing stream of milk. This way’s messier, but it works!
- Slowly pour into a warm mug, as you would for cappuccino. Top with reserved orange zest.
- Take a deep breath and let the aroma gently infuse your senses. Now exhale, relax and enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Honey
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A & M's Annual Smackdown / Your Best Hot Toddy
Tags: dinner for one