If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This simple risotto uses all the ingredients found in traditional margherita pizza: tomatoes, basil, and mozzerella cheese. And, just like margherita, the flavors work in perfect unity, not overwhelming or overpowering eachother. - Loves Food Loves to Eat
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup white onion- diced
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 garlic cloves- minced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes (fresh or good quality canned)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup grated mozzerella cheese
- shredded parmesan and chopped basil for topping
- Warm chicken broth in a saucepan, keep on low heat.
- Heat oil and butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat- add onions, black pepper to taste, and oregano and and saute until onions are softened. Add garlic, and sautee until softened and fragrant (about 3 minutes).
- Add rice and cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes (and natural amount of juices, but not excess juice if you used canned) and basil- stir in.
- Ladle in 1 cup simmering broth and cook, stirring, until absorbed. Continue simmering and adding broth, about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently and letting each addition be absorbed before adding next. Continue until rice is tender and creamy, 16 to 18 minutes. (Add water or more broth to simmering saucepan if more liquid is needed).
- Stir in mozzerella, and serve topped with parmesan and additional basil!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Risotto (Savory)