If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Adding the celery in two forms and stages gives you intense celery flavor, matching the roasted broth, and crisp pieces, matching the al dente rice. - magdance
Serves six as first course; four as main
for mahogony broth
- 4-5 pound roasting chicken
- 3 carrots
- 4 celery stalks
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 turnips
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
for the risotto
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 8 ounces celey root, grated fine to make 1 cup
- 2 1/2 cups mahogony chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- few drops lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- For broth, coat a roasting pan with vegetable oil and roast neck, back and wings of chicken with roughly cut vegetables in a 450 degree oven. Baste every 15 minutes with oil and turn until all is dark brown but not burned. Deglaze pan with a cup of water and turn all into a soup pot. Add 5 more cups of water and simmer one and a half hours. Strain, chill, remove fat and strain through cheesecloth.
- For risotto, melt butter and oil in heavy-bottomed pan.
- Saute onion until soft but not brown.
- Add rice and cook until coated with fat.
- Add wine and cook and stir until absorbed.
- Add grated celery root and stir well.
- Add 1 cup broth and stir every few minutes until absorbed.
- Add chopped celery and mix.
- Add second cup of heated broth. Now stir constantly, tasting frequently, just until the rice is cooked al dente and creamy. You may need all or part of the last 1/2 cup of broth, or use water.
- Fold in the parmesan and season with drops of lemon juice, salt and pepper. Serve immediately with additional parmesan on the side.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Risotto (Savory)