If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Salmorejo Cordobés – a tomato-based soup that comes from the Andalusian region of Spain, but creamier (although not actually made with cream) and more satisfying than gazpacho. Think of it as a meal soup, topped with hard-boiled egg, jamón, avocado or herbs; or serve it in shot glasses as a starter at your next dinner party. Once you prepare this dish, it will become one of your summer staples! —Caitlin | Back2Spain
- 8-10 vine-ripe tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 cup white vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 1/4 day-old baguette
- Quarter the tomatoes and blend in food processor until tomatoes achieve smooth consistency (a minute or so).
- Meanwhile, cut or tear baguette into roughly 1 x 1 inch pieces. Add bread to blended tomatoes and stir, so that bread is completely saturated. Allow the mixture to sit a few minutes.
- Chop garlic and add to mixture. Blend all ingredients and slowly pour in extra virgin olive. Add salt and vinegar, and continue blending. Taste and add more salt or olive oil to reach desired taste and consistency. Chill and serve with toppings and, of course, bread for dipping.
Toppings ideas: diced hard boiled egg, avocado, shredded or diced jamón, herbs (basil, cilantro, etc.) ...
- hard-boiled eggs
- Jamón iberico
- This last part is what makes this dish more than just a soup. It can be a totally satisfying, protein filled meal. The typical way to serve salmorejo is topped with diced hard-boiled egg and little chunks of jamón (prosciutto would be a fine substitute). I have also seen it served with tuna (packed in extra virgin olive oil), avocado slices, or goat cheese. Really, you can get creative here.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Warm Weather Soup
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Tomato Recipe
A fish that's a wrap star
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
It's time to travel.
Grilled cheese, please.
Put cake on a pedestal.