If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a recipe I developed for a class I wrote when I worked at NYC's Institute of Culinary Education. The goal was making Italian for two people easy for any night without resorting to Spaghetti. I love taking desserts, the flavor combinations I'm familiar with, and turning them into something different. This is like an Italian version of a hot fudge sundae. - KayJay
Serves 2, generously
For the semifreddo
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup mascarpone
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
For the chocolate espresso sauce
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 ounce bittersweet cocoa
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon Marsala, optional
- Ladyfingers for garnish
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment beat together yolks and sugar until mixture turns pale and ribbons are formed by the whisk beating. Stop and scrape the bolw to make sure all the sugar is incorporated. If not, beat more. Add mascarpone and vanilla and beat a few minutes more. Set aside.
- In a clean bowl, beat eggs whites until they hold stiff peaks, being careful not to overbeat. With a rubber spatula, fold in a bit of the egg white into the yolk mixture to lighten. Fold in the remaining egg whites until just combined.
- Gently pour into a clean pint container and freeze until set (only a few hours)
- To make the sauce, heat water in a saucepan and stir in espresso powder to dissolve. Stir in the cocoa, chocolate, and 1/3 cup sugar with a whisk; continue stirring over low heat until the chocolate is melted.. Add the half-and-half, and continue stirring until the sauce is the consistency of a thin cream. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla and marsala (optional).
- In a bowl, scoop out semifreddo, top with sauce, and garnish with ladyfingers.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert
Prep Makes Perfect
Put your best pan forth.
Prep your pans for perfection.
Make better coffee.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Stop the soap opera.