If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My aunt made something that we called macaroons growing up. Really they are those Seven Layer Bars whose recipe is always emblazoned on sweetened condensed milk cans. I always loved those but going to Paris years ago opened my eyes to a whole new world of macaroon/macarons. Forward to now, this contest, and that I wanted to make these macarons before I went to work this morning. The oven was preheated but whipping egg whites in my stand up mixer? I don't think so. Enter the idea of dumping everything in the food processor, scooping them on to the baking sheet lined with Silpat, letting them "rest" as apparently macarons are supposed to do, and baking them. I made it to work on time and I was able to bring a fresh baked one with me. Macarons in under 30 minutes. I leave the skins of the almonds and pistachios on. If you actually rubbed them off you might end up with a green tinged macaron. - testkitchenette
- 6 ounces almonds, toasted
- 2 1/2 ounces pistachios, shelled and toasted (I used salted because that's all I had)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 egg whites (I set them on the counter overnight to age them)
- 1/2 cup dates, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375F and line your baking sheet with a silicone liner or parchment paper.
- In the food processor, combine the cooled nuts, sugar, and cinnamon until finely ground. Add the egg whites while the motor is going and then pulse in the dates. Scrape the sides and give one last blitz.
- I used a small ice cream scooper to get them onto the cookie sheet but you could use a heaping tablespoon with probably the same results. Spread the macarons about 2 inches apart for spreading.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden around the edges. Remove to a rack and let cool completely.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Gluten-Free Baked Good
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Almond Macaroons
Wooden Bird's House
For your feathered friends.
How to Make Macaroni and Cheese Without a Recipe
Gouda riddance to powdered cheese.
Cauliflower Gratin With Mornay Sauce
Style with a breeze.
Easter Baskets for Loved Ones Who Sometimes Annoy You
Sure to put somebunny out of business.